Thursday, April 4, 2013
LASER World of Photonics: The place to be in May
What is held biennially, has been around 40 years, and ranks as one of the biggest and most important shows in the global photonics industry? The answer of course is LASER World of Photonics, the trade fair organized by Messe Munich International and held at the Munich fairgrounds from May 13-16. The World of Photonics Congress, which is the largest European technical and scientific conference on photonics, is co-located and runs from May 12-16.
This year the exhibition should attract 28,000 visitors and 1,100 exhibitors, with over 50% of those international. The focus will be on lasers and laser systems for manufacturing, lighting and energy, imaging, optical measurement, and biophotonics and medical technology.
The technical and scientific Congress is expected to attract about 5,000 participants, and comprises five meetings:
- CLEO/Europe-EQEC, organized by the European Physical Society and sponsored by its Quantum Electronics and Optics Division, OSA, and IEEE Photonics Society
- Optofluidics, Manufacturing of Optical Components, and Advanced Optomechanical Engineering, organized by the European Optical Society
- LiM - Lasers in Manufacturing (LiM), organized by the Scientific Laser Society (WLT);
- European Conference on Biomedical Optics (ECBO), organized by the OSA and SPIE; In conjunction with ECBO, the annual conference of the Head and Neck Optical Diagnostics Society (HNODS) will also be held.
- Optical Metrology, organized by SPIE Europe
In addition to the Congress, forums on the exhibition floor will be the scene of numerous Application Panels, which are divided into three general topic areas: Biophotonics and Medical Engineering, Lasers and Laser Systems for Production Engineering, and Optical Technologies. The full list of Application Panels is available HERE.
We'll have more on the exhibition and Congress online and in the May issue of Laser Focus World. For a more complete preview of LASER and the Congress, click HERE.
See you at the fair.